How do YOU Define Yourself?

For a long time I doubted myself, my art, my professional skills, and had been afraid to show my art work to anyone. But, on the eve of turning 30 (a few weeks ago), I made the determination that I would change my mindset and attitude from one of fear and scarcity, to one of abundance and gratitude in order to live the life I want, and start being the person I want to become. A shift in mindset (more than math) is what got me out of $40,000 in student loans, and booking art gigs left and right (woot woot!).

That shift in mindset has been more instrumental to changing my finances than math. Math motivated me to change my money behavior within the short term. But a deep and sincere commitment -- no, a vow -- to redefine yourself, that really recharged my life's batteries.

But how do you go from living in fear of your passion to living proudly for your passion; from pinching pennies, to living in abundance?

Easy...

1. Take Teeny Tiny Steps: I'd often felt overwhelmed by all the projects I'm working on (a film, a personal finance course, photo projects, a ton of travel, etc.). So rather than doing a lot each day, I make a goal to just do 1 teeny tiny thing each day. Rather than make it a goal for the day to "edit a whole scene of the film", which would take hours, I instead take the smallest baby-step of a goal possible -- "off load all of the footage from one shoot" -- which would only take minutes. That's it. One. Teeny. Tiny. Step. Per. Day.

Sometimes I feel inspired to do more, other times I just have the energy for a tiny step. And that's okay! It's one step further down the road I want to be on, and closer to the life I want. The 7 tiny steps  over the past week, would but me further today than had I not taken those steps.

2. Run Yourself Like a Business: In my "Clark Kent" life (my 9-to-5), I set up and manage huge technology systems for very large (20,000 employee+) organizations. By the time I get my "Superwoman" life on (my 5-to-9) I'm tir'd (can't even get the "e" in I'm so tir'd)!

But alas, there's hope. I run my life like a business through different project management tools. I budget my time, use project management tools (my latest fave is Asana), and try to automate as much as possible (future post on that later for all you type-A's out there who feel me!).

3. Attitude Gratitude: I've started keeping a gratitude journal  in addition to my Buddhist practice. Each night before bed I think of at least one thing I'm grateful for and tell my fiance or record it. "What was your happiest moment today?" is another way we'll end our day. Try asking yourself that tonight, and you'll see a wonderful habit blossom.

4. Nike it up! Just do it! Just keep moving forward because your soul depends on it. Really. The doubt/fear/etc. doesn't go away, but you'll be so busy doing (instead of waiting for yourself to do something) that all you can do is move forward. With every action you take -- small (sending an email) or big (screening a film -- side note: I have a Film Festival Premiere next month! Eep!) -- your life will have no choice but to move in the direction of your dreams.

I'll repeat that...




I'm grateful to have seen this today:



What's 1 thing you're grateful for today?




Enter your email below for a free PDF of the complete one-page checklist
designed to help you start controlling your money (so it stops controlling you),
and getting on a path to money peace-of-mind.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...