Mail Time! Reader email...


Message from a reader (edited for privacy):

Hi! I read about you in an article online and related to the message about getting one's finances in order/ not allowing debt to control you but also not running from the reality of debt. Thanks for what you do. I'm trying to figure it all out myself. I have a full-time job and a side job, going through graduate school, and trying to be active in the community. I'm in my early 30's, and single. Any succinct words of advice?
Thanks again.

Messages like this make my day. I pour my financial heart and soul into this blog, so you can gain peace-of-mind. No one. No. One. Should feel like they have to stay crushed under the confusion of finances. You can be strong, comfortable, and confident in with your finance. It's possible. I replied with:

Hello!
Thank you so much for your message. I love hearing from readers.  
First and foremost. Breathe. The fact that you're seeking a way to gain financial peace-of-mind is the first step in becoming confident about your money (and time..which is more valuable).   
As far as your personal situation, I can't speak directly to it because I don't know all the facts and everyone's situation is different. However, I will share what helped me stop worrying: Focus on the long term. Like really long term...when you're on your death bed, what do you want to look back on? I know it's dire, but nothing puts life into perspective like our fragile mortality. For me, it's making art. I wouldn't have lived the life I want unless I pursue my art fully. So, it's my #1 priority right now. And every decision -- how I spend my time, money, etc. -- comes back to asking myself, "Will this decision enable me to pursue my art fully?" If the answer is no, then I don't do it. In other words, I picked a top life priority (I have yearly/monthly/etc. priorities that tie back to it) and put my money and energy there (ie. I spent my tax rebate on art supplies), and minimize everything else as much as possible (ie. I have a roommate to cut back on housing). This is the "personal" part of personal finance, which, I believe is foundational to getting the math out together. So, focus on your goals first. But, nonetheless, here's the math part.  
Also, I highly recommend this book, I read it in one day.
Keep seeking, you will get there.   
Best.
Her reply was great and like 5 pages! Awesome. She'd been reading for years, so will get a sneak peak at a course I'm creating for you all...it's a handbook for getting your money, time, and life logistics in order so you can gain peace of mind. I'm very excited to share it soon! Stay tuned for more on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...